NSW COMBINED HIGH SCHOOLS SPORTS ASSOCIATION
NORTH WESTERN METROPOLITAN
HIGH SCHOOLS SPORTS ASSOCIATION
(Updated April 2021)
1) Player Eligibility and Substitution
- As per the Zone rules, players are only allowed to play in one match per day. If this rule is breached, the offending player will create a forfeit in the lower grade/age match.
- A player may be substituted at any time during a game as long as the ball is dead (not at penalties). The substitutions are limited to 12 during the entire match.
2) Uncontested scrums
If a team cannot field a scrum with suitably trained players at the start of a game because they are not available they must play 1 short for the duration of the game.
If a team cannot field a scrum with suitably trained players during a game because a player in one of the front five positions has been injured or has been sent off for Foul Play and no suitably trained replacement is available, then the referee must order uncontested scrums. A substitute cannot take place in the front five if there is no suitable replacement available in those positions.
In an uncontested scrum, the team feeding the scrum is to gain possession without contest, with neither team being allowed to push from the mark.
3) Duration of play
All competition round games and semi finals - 15-a-side
16s - 25 mins/way with 5 min ½ time - no time off for injuries
14s - 25 mins/way with 5 min ½ time - no time off for injuries
Grand Finals - 15-a-side
16s - 30 mins/way with 5 min ½ time - time off for stoppages in last 5 minutes of game to a maximum of 5 minutes. In event of draw 5 minutes extra each way plus up to 5 minutes stoppage time. If still a draw joint premiers.
14s - 25 mins/way with 5 min ½ time - time off for stoppages in last 5 minutes of game to a maximum of 5 minutes. In event of draw 5 minutes extra each way plus up to 5 minutes stoppage time. If still a draw joint premiers.
4) Player Weights and Team numbers
- There are no weight restrictions for the 2021 season
- All teams are entered as 15-a-side teams. There are no 'Reduced Player' teams for the 2021 season.
- Teams must commence the match with a 15 players on the field. If a school is unable to commence the match with the 15 players, they shall concede the match to the opposing team. If both schools are unable to fill a team of 15 players at the commencement of the match, neither school will receive points. In these situations, schools are thereafter encouraged to agree to play a 'friendly/non-competitive' game with reduced numbers.
5) Any rules not covered herein shall be as per the current Australian Rugby Laws of the game with U19 Variations.
6) Laws of the game can be found at this link:
Wet weather cancellations or venue changes:
** It is the responsibility of the home team's Sports Organiser to call the referees contact asap if there is a cancelled match or a late change of venue on a Wednesday.
2021 Referees contact: Tom Chadwick 0468 396 308 (NSWRU)