NORTH WESTERN METROPOLITAN HIGH SCHOOLS SPORTS ASSOCIATION
WATER POLO (updated November 2020)
The NWMHSSA Water Polo Competition will be played under the FINA rules, currently adopted by WPNSW. FINA rules can be found at the following website: https://www.fina.org/sites/default/files/13-06-2019-corrections-2018_congress_amended_rules_defv8_0814.pdf
Opens: Up to 13 players per team (7 in the water), playing with a size 5 ball.
14/15 Years: Up to 13 players per team (7 in the water). If two 15 Years teams are playing, a size 5 ball is used. If two 14 Years teams or one 15 Years and one 14 Years teams are playing, a size 4 ball is used. *NOTE: Due to the mixed nature of the competition, NWMHSSA will NOT be playing WPNSW U14 Modified rules.
The following exceptions will apply to the WPNSW/FINA rules:
- In the event that a team does not have seven players to constitute a team, said team may start with six players. In the event of this situation occurring, the opposing team shall also play with six players. This match will count for points.
- In the event that a team has less than six players, they shall forfeit points. The opposing team may choose to lend the forfeiting team players to have a “friendly” match in the interest of student participation.
- Boys are to play in the age group according to how old they will turn in the year
following the commencement of the competition. E.g. a boy who turned 14 in the year the competition begins is to play in the 15 Years competition.
- There will be no ‘Time Outs’ allowed in any game.
- Players sent to the ‘sin bin’ for a 20 second eviction must do so without delay. The ‘sin bin’ is located in the team’s corner OPPOSITE the referee.
- Under no circumstances is any player to approach the referee during the game or between quarters. Such behaviour can lead to the player being expelled from the venue.
- The 30 second shot clock will only be implemented if both coaches agree and have a reliable time keeper. However it will be enforced during finals.
- In the event of a draw at full time zone rules will apply; no extra time played.
- The break between each quarter is to be a maximum of 2 minutes, strictly enforced. Any team that delays the start of a quarter may be penalised by the referee.
- ALL GAMES MUST END SO THE NEXT GAME CAN START ON TIME. If a game is delayed it must be shortened to allow the next game to start on time. If necessary games should be reduced to two halves if there is a significant delay.
- Where possible, schools are required to wear caps in their school colour. If this is not possible, the first mentioned team on the draw wears white caps and the second mentioned team on the draw wears blue caps.
Ashfield Boys - Black
Asquith Boys – White
Epping Boys – Gold
Homebush Boys – Sky Blue
Normanhurst Boys – Red
North Sydney Boys - Maroon
Randwick – Green
The 14/15 Years mixed competition will split into a separate 14 Years and 15 Years finals series.
14 Years: The top two ranking 14 Years teams will contest a grand-final. This match will be played with a size 4 ball and will be played in 4 x 4 minute quarters.
15 Years: NWMHSSA Finals rules apply. These matches will be played with a size 5 ball and will be play in 4 x 5 minutes quarters.
Starting Times & Venue Information
Matches at all venues will commence at 1pm, unless otherwise stated. Students must wait outside the venue until their teacher arrives. For venue addresses, please see http://www.nwmsport.com/grounds.html
Auburn1 is the pool closest to the grandstand.
Auburn 2 is the pool closest to the change rooms.
Water Polo Convener